Monday, September 20, 2010

Crockpot Oatmeal..Some Things Should Not Be Done!

As a mom of 5 of which 3 now go to school. The mornings are a little hectic around here. I have exactly 1 hr to get everyone up, dressed, fed, teeth brushed, hair done, and out the door. I have come to find that the more simplified things are the faster this goes. This includes breakfast.
We do not do a lot of cereal here because it is way more expensive and it does not last as long. Like most larger families it is easier to feed a good breakfast that is cooked rather poured in a bowl. This has sent me on a mission of scouring blogs to find good & easy breakfast ideas. This is how I happened to come across the idea of Crockpot Oatmeal. My kids LOVE oatmeal. It's just a little hard to make during the week because when it comes straight off of the stove it is REALLY REALLY HOT!
Thus I decided to give it a try. My husband and I were a little apprehensive.We both were thinking that it was going to become mush. Mushy oatmeal is never good. Against better judgement I decided to give it a go. I put it in and set it and left it. When I awoke it was worse than I had imagined. Not only was it mush but there was this gelatinous gooey crust that had formed on top. It was brown and black. Underneath that was mushy oatmeal. Underneath that was stuck on oatmeal. This is not going to be fun to clean up later.
I decided to give it to the kids to try anyways.....no one even wanted to try it. With a lot of coaxing they eventually ate it. They did not like it and asked that I never make that again. You know it is bad when the kids that LOVE oatmeal hated this. So, PLEASE whatever you do..NEVER EVER PUT OATMEAL IN THE CROCKPOT!

No comments: