Saturday, February 27, 2010

Ranchero Black and Pinto Beans

I adapted this recipe from the recipe on 5 Dollar Dinners blog. If you haven't checked her blog out I would encourage you to. I had to change it because one of my children cannot have anything that is spicy or with tomatoes in it. He has acid reflux. The other reason was because of what I had on hand. So, if you want her version please check out her blog. This meal cost under $5 to feed my family of 6! Lets not leave out the fact that it was quick and easy to make.
Ingredients:
  • 2 cups ham steak diced
  • 1 can of black beans drained and rinsed
  • 1 can of pinto beans drained and rinsed
  • 1 small onion chopped
  • 3/4 of a can of mild green enchilada sauce
  • 2 cups rice
  • 4 tsp chicken base
  • 4 cups of water
1. Bring the 4 cups of water to a boil in a pot. Add the 4 tsp of chicken base along with the 2 cups of rice. Cover and simmer for 20 min.
2. While rice is cooking heat a small amount of oil over medium high heat in a pan. Add the onion and ham and cook for 4 min
3. Add the beans and cook for another 2 min.
4. Add the enchilada sauce and cook for another 3 - 5 min.
5. Serve over rice.

No comments: